Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Best Friend

Yea, yea I know it’s been a while since I put anything worthwhile down on “paper” but I’ve started to have the mindset that when I say something in this blog or on Facebook I wanted to be pee-your-pants funny or I want it to be insightful or just be my own little “FTW’ moments.  I guess this entry we can file under insightful.
It has been almost 3 years since Melissa and I met and every day has been a blessing for me.  Those of you who know me know damn well I don’t use the word “blessing” very often, if at all, due to my controversial views on religion…..but that’s another blog entry that will probably never see the light.  Anywho…after all this time together and us being husband and wife I have grown a new appreciation for the term “Best Friend”.  Typically when one says this they are referring to someone of the same gender.  “My Bro”, “My Homie”, “Muh Dawg” but I can’t use these terms to accurately describe what she is to me, beyond wife and soul mate, than “Best Friend”.  I know it’s a term used often and with little regard to its meaning and tossed around to whoever is most convenient and visits often.  I happen to be lucky enough to have a live-in best friend and it’s wonderful.  The best part…..she’s female and we are married.  BROWN CHICKEN BROWN COW YA’LL!!!
I will attest to the fact right here and now that I have not had ANYONE, and I mean A..NY…ONE, whom I could call “Best Friend” in my entire life save one person I grew up with .  He’s in the Military and I have no idea where he is.  We haven’t seen each other in well over 10 years.  I have had other guy friends who have filled the temporary position of “Best Friend” but again it was never the bond that I feel with Melissa and this bond that goes beyond the vows of our marriage. 
Dictionary.com has an interesting definition for the term:
Main Entry:   best friend
Part of Speech:   n
Definition:   See boon companion

Ok…what the hell is boon companion???
Main Entry:   
boon companion
Part of Speech:   
n
Definition:   
a very close friend
Example:   
She is inseparable from her boon companion of 20years.
Etymology:   
1566; literally, 'good fellow'

Well I’ll be damned.  The term for “Best Friend” goes back 210 years before the birth of our country and what’s more, the Italians had it right the whole time with the term “Good Fellow”.  It was someone they trusted with their life.  Someone they knew would have their back no matter what happened or what was said, someone who would walk through the fire shoulder to shoulder with them.  They also knew the dirtiest of secrets.  I know Melissa’s and she knows mine.  We have weird quirks we don’t tell anyone about but if asked we have nothing to hide.  We also don’t hide anything from each other and, God forbid something happen and we are no longer together, you will NEVER hear me utter one single solitary bad thing about her as a person or what she was as a wife.  See how this works?  She’s my best friend, my Queen and the center of my universe.  She has earned this illustrious title NOT through attrition as my wife but because she exudes all the attributes of wearing the badge of my “BFF”.
Everyone should have a best friend, BFF, “bestie” or something similar.  Do you?  Look around at your circle of friends.  Go ahead I’ll give you a few minutes to flip through your Facebook list.  Do you have someone in that list that you can say you are best friends with?  Maybe you do…maybe you think you do?  It’s something in life we should constantly evaluate.  Family is one thing.  They will always be there no matter what, but friendship is different.  It is an unmistakable and undeniable bond that forms between two people who come from different cultures, backgrounds, ethnicities and belief systems.  Is that not an absolutely incredible thing to have happen?  It’s like fucking magic.  Sociologists say that really close friends, whether they be same sex or opposite sex, will be as close as two people can be without becoming intimate with each other.  THAT is how close good friends are.  THAT is what the term “best friends” really means.
 “Bro, you know all my bullshit secrets and you pulled me off that Tijuana whore before I got married…then we found out she had 2 vaginas and we kicked ourselves….but anyway…. I love you, man.  I’ll never fuck you in the ass or open mouth kiss you but I love you, dude.”
NO HOMO

I wrote this not because I was bored or hadn’t said anything in a long time, but because as I have grown as a person over these last few years I have come to appreciate what it is to truly have a best friend.  Do you have one?  Are you one?  If you aren’t or don’t then why not?  It never hurts to take a look at YOU and see what qualities you bring to the proverbial bargaining table to be someone’s best friend.  I have a best friend….her name is Melissa Simmons.  I couldn’t be more proud. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You REALLY are all that and a bag of chips.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete