Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What is "Broly"

I'm not even sure why I'm starting this blog. It was an idea I had a few days ago and thought maybe I should put down on "paper" some of the stuff I went through, currently dealing with and will eventually go through as someone who is trying to look better and feel better about himself.

You might be asking yourself "What the HELL is 'Broly'"? Honestly, I couldn't tell you exactly where the term came from. It's used in a loving manner by a bunch of e-meatheads to basically throw some bromance out to a guy who looks good and has been working his ass off. Sort of an electronic hetero hug. Props, daps, knuck...you get the idea.

So anyway, I have been wanting to attain this status for some time. I worked out on and off over the last 3 years or so but nothing really serious. I had some things holding me back. I had a marriage I was miserable in, I was woking in an industry that wasn't conducive to working out and basically had no goals pertaining to my health. I was 260lbs at my heaviest. I lookeded like this guy:

Except I'm white and I don't wear boxers...and I have a better camera. You get the point. The one thing we do share is the vapid expression on our face. I had the same face...sad, lifeless, disheartened and had a general feeling like nothing could change. I can tell you what made me that way. You know before I even say anything. Yup......FAST FOOD!!

The Hut, The Clown, The Box, The Cabana, The Bueno, Chicken on a bun, chicken nuggets, fries, sodas, tacos, pizza....it was all so convenient and so EFFING tasty. My absolute favorite lunch while working int the IT field was a 20 piece chicken McNugget from Mickey Ds, Super Sized fries and 1 liter Dr Pepper and I would finish THE WHOLE DAMN THING!!! Let's digress for a second and analyze my favorite lunch:

Chicken Nuggets (20 piece):
950 calories
540 calories from FAT
2000mg sodium (that is 2 full grams for the lesser math inclined)
55g Carbs

Supersized Fries:
610 calories
261 calories from FAT
29 total fat grams
390mg sodium
77g carbs

1 Liter Dr Pepper
400 calories
140mg sodium
108g carbs from sugar

FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF:

1960 Calories (801 calories from fat)
2530mg sodium
240g carbs

Essentially in 1 (one) meal I had consumed about 100 calories UNDER maintenance for the whole day for someone of my height, age and activity level....and I didn't even mention breakfast or dinner. Truth be told there were days I consumed well over 6000 calories and who knows how many carbs or fat grams. Who cares right? Once or twice wont hurt, right? BULLSHIT! It didn't hurt when I was shoveling crap into my pie hole but I was lethargic afterward and didn't care about anything. I was high as a kite. Who needs drugs, man, I got pizza and nuggets, and soda and all the junk that makes us feel good. Let me tell you something...the hurt was internal and it hurt a lot. My self esteem was in the basement and I hated doing things in general. I was content on the couch watching TV or being on the internet. I hated shopping for clothes cause I didn't want to have to go through the agony of trying to fit in a size 40 pant when I knew I needed 42. I didn't want to buy ANOTHER XXL shirt. They charge more for that size, ya know?

I tried to justify things like I'm sure most do. I had a wife at the time and she was "happy with who I was and not what I looked like." That helped a little but I always knew I needed to do something about the way I looked. The days rolled on and on and before you know it I'm 260lbs. I was a svelt 185 in high school and a marching band fool. Shirt off marching barefoot on the blacktop in summer band and rockin' faces off with my trumpet. Simply amazing how life gets in the way.

So what's the point of this blog? It's a quest. A never ending, constantly changing and frustration inducing quest. I'll keep you informed about my progress, post my workouts, parts of my diet, pictures and possibly some recipes. You'll hear me bitch and complain about gym crap, my diet and various other observations. Maybe you'll learn something. Maybe you'll be inspired. Maybe it will prompt you to look at yourself and see if you can do better. Either way put down your fries and pay attention cause I'm on a non-stop train to Brolyville.

Current weight 210lbs.

1 comment:

  1. You inspire me each and every day. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. I look forward to reading each and every word.

    ReplyDelete